FOOD BUSINESS OPERATOR
The Food Safety and Standards Act. 2006 has come into force with effect from 05th August. 2011. It defines a Food Business Operator (FBO) as a person engaged in the business of food manufacture, processing, packaging, transportation, distribution, storage and import etc. and includes food services, catering services and sale of food or food ingredients.
REGISTRATION AND LICENSING
- All Food Business Operators (FBO) in the country have to be registered or licensed in accordance with the cutoff limits laid down in the Food Safety and Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food Business) Regulations, 2011.
- A milk producer whose production capacity of the Milk & Meat Products is less than 100 Kg/Ltr. per day, or is handling milk less than 500 Ltr. per day, meat or meat products producer in the capacity for slaughter of maximum 2 large animal or 10 small animals or 50 poultry birds per day or any other FBO where annual turnover is less than Rs 12 Lakh is termed as Petty Food Business Operator (PFBO) and is required to be registered.
- Schedule 1 of the Regulations defines the businesses that will be licensed by FSSAI Regional offices. All other businesses will have to obtain license from the local District Designated Officer of the state.
- Application can be filed online at foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in for central licensing.
■ Convert your existing food licenses / registration into FSSAI license Registration before 5th August, 2012
■ No license registration fee will have to be paid for the remaining period of the validity of the earlier license or registration.
■ All FBO should have valid license at all time.
- If the existing license registration has expired after 5″ August. 2012 apply for its renewal immediately.
■ No pre – inspection required.
■ A New FSSAI license number will be issued.
- Comply with existing provisions of Food Safety and Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food Business) Regulations, 2011.
For further details visit fssai.gov.in or Dial-Toll free helpline 1800112100
Issued in Public interest by
Food Safety and Standards Authority of India
FDA Bhawan, Kotla Road,
New Delhi – 110002